Friday, May 11, 2012

Selling Old Jewelry

This week I did something that I've been putting off for almost a year: I sold my old jewelry.  I don't really wear jewelry, but I was gifted with several pieces that I thought might be worth something.  For months I procrastinated because of my own ignorance about the jewelry and because, for some reason, it felt kind of sleazy.

I had two sterling silver rings, an engagement ring  and two necklaces.  I thought that the silver rings would be pretty much worthless (they were), and that the engagement ring might be too since it was handed down to me from a relative when I was a teenager. As for the necklaces, I was clueless.

After doing some searches on the internet about selling jewelry, I devised my strategy. First I found the names of some local jewelry stores.  I was specifically looking for mom-and-pop places and not the chain stores.  I decided to check out two different jewelry stores and a pawn shop to get quotes with the plan to  sell to the highest bidder.  

The first place that I went to was very helpful.  The saleswoman confirmed that the silver rings were basically worthless.  She was also able to tell me that the engagement ring was not a diamond and that the band wasn't even real gold.  However, she did say that she could consign the two necklaces for me.  She felt that $100 was a good starting price for both and that the store would split the cost with me 50/50.  I was pleasantly surprised with that offer, but was interested to see what else I could get.  

I decided that another jewelry store would probably have a comparable price and that maybe I should check with the pawn shop next. There, I was offered $51 for the two necklaces together, but I declined.  At this point I was tired and over it, so I headed back to the first store and agreed to consign with them.  I probably should have checked one more store, but I am content with the decision that I made.  

All in all, the process was not that much of a hassle.  It did make me feel a little uncomfortable, but if I make some money from the necklaces it will have been well-worth the awkwardness.  I"ll keep you posted if the necklaces sell.  

No comments:

Post a Comment